Communication for change
change your words
change our world
copywriting services – how i help
Does this sound familiar?
You have one of 'those' websites
Long on jargon, small on
You did it all yourself
You wrote everything. Or your neighbour did. It was a good start but it’s time to take things up a notch. You’re ready for an upgrade, for a professional writer who will help you connect with your audience and make an impact.
You're a consultant
You’re ready to go beyond your LinkedIn profile and build a personal brand. Professionalism is important, but so is being warm and approachable. You want people to respect your expertise but not be put off by it.
Grant writing is not your thing
In fact, it does your head in. Who has the time (or the desire, or the skills…) to wrangle with assessment criteria? To understand what the funders really want? If only there was someone – with a great success record – who could do it for you.
You're wasting time
People ask you all these questions about your service or product. You and your staff spend a lot of time answering them. Why not package that information into a guide or a how-to brochure? You could save time, use it to generate leads and drive traffic or print it out for giveaways at events and expos.
It’s okay! We’ll get this done!
I specialise in writing website copy that is streamlined, simple and straightforward. I’ll help you unearth your story and get that ‘About’ page done, using language that speaks to your customers.
I’ve trained with Jon Morrow from Smart Blogger. That means I can craft a headline, maximise SEO, write for any audience and apply all the tips and tricks needed to write outstanding, shareable content.
I’m government trained, so I’m practiced at researching and writing accurate reports that pass muster with boards and committees. I keep it simple too, using language that connects and doesn’t confuse.
Editing and Auditing
I love editing and auditing text. I’ve been doing it for decades. I can proofread your report or check out your blog posts, give your brochure a make-over or polish up your website.
What you should know about me
I’m Penny. I’m a writer with a background in science communication, sustainability, and behaviour change. I work with non-profits, social enterprises and businesses that want to change our world – for the better, of course!
- I build bridges between people and information. I make it easier for them to understand and act on what they learn.
- Creativity is a big deal for me. I have a toolkit of methods and I love using imagery, metaphor and stories. Because that’s the way our brains work.
- I enjoy research – discovering information, pulling it together and sharing it. I get a kick out of making complex information more simple so more people can understand and use it.
- I believe too many organisations use jargon and formal language. It smothers meaning, turns people off and leads to reams of wasted paper and pixels. I help you get to the heart of the matter and communicate it.
- I’m trained in behaviour change methods, community-based social marketing and a stack of stakeholder engagement techniques. That means I know the questions to ask about your customers and your business.
- My experience includes working in and for government, non-profits, natural resource management and small business. Each sector has its way of doing things, including yours – I get that.
- I have a background in sustainability education and natural resource management. That includes urban food growing, eco-tourism, green living and natural products. If you’re into all things eco, I speak your language.
- I’m also a trained interpreter. Not the language/translation kind. The kind that helps people learn about natural and cultural heritage through signage, presentations and other material. Think museum displays, boardwalk signage and tour guiding.
- Funding makes the world go round. I’ve been part of grant assessment panels, run funded programs and successfully applied for many grants and tenders. That includes small community grants right up to large-scale proposals in the $millions.
- I was an eco-tour guide for many years. If you can hold the attention of 50 schoolkids, you can engage just about anyone…
If you’d like to know more about me, you can find me on LinkedIn.
What people say
We engaged Penny and her team to review an R & D Application. Penny quickly developed an understanding of the technical background and transformed our application into a succinct, well-articulated report.
Penny’s work helped foundU receive over $500,000 in tax offsets. I would recommend her to anyone, regardless of the industry, and will be using her services again.
I highly recommend Penny’s services. Her creative and brilliant writing skills can tailor any topic to suit the audience or its intended purpose. Penny’s attention to detail is backed up by her extensive experience and knowledge, especially in the environmental and community fields. I am excited to be working with Penny to help achieve my business outcomes.
Penny has a way with words. She has a passion for communicating – both the big ideas and the just-as-important little ones. I am always in awe of her skill, enthusiasm and drive and have benefited from Penny’s editing skills and mentorship to make my own writing stronger and more vibrant.
If you or your organisation need to make your communications clearer, I cannot recommend Penny more highly.
GET MY HARD-WON TIPS FOR FREE
Why should you learn to write faster and better?
The answer is easy – because everything is based on words. Facebook posts. Blog posts. Guides. Training material. Brochures. Emails. Even scripts for video and audio.
Writing faster saves time. We can all do with more of that.
Writing better is vital – you will find more customers, build stronger relationships and make more sales.
Your writing matters.
I’ve distilled some hard won lessons in a short guide. Not too many, but enough for you to polish your text and lift your game.